Sunday 17 February 2013

Ten Things I Miss About Canada

I know that I'm supposed to be enjoying a new culture and trying new things but there are some things that I really do miss about my homeland.
I guess the saying 'Home is where the heart is' is true. I may be enjoying Australia and all the new sights, sounds and tastes, but not so deep inside I am a true blooded Canadian.
Here are a few things that I find myself wanting on any given day or just plain missing.

1. Tim Hortens - no one around here can make a cup hot of chocolate like them.
2. Bagels -  they have never heard of them.
3. Driving on the right side of the road - okay, to them we drive on the wrong side.
4. Knowing where I am going when I leave my house -  let's just say that I have a habit of misplacing myself out here.
5. Hockey - yeah, yeah, I hear you. But really, it's at least fun to watch. They like cricket. Makes no sense and is boring to watch.
6. My piano -  no around here seems to own one.
7. My family - even Luke.
8. My friends -  the people out here are awesome but they can't replace my Canadian friends.
9. My books -  I could only take so many with me.
10. Snow - alright, I admit it. I do miss that white stuff. Not the cold, mind you, but the sight of a snow covered world with a sun in a blue sky.

I don't think any continent could replace Canada. I mean, we have the Rockies, Niagra Falls, hockey, PEI, the CN Tower and Tim Hortens. Australia has the Sydney Opera House, Kangaroos and Koalas, lots of cows, Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef. Okay, both places have some pretty awesome attractions. But the place where you are born and raised becomes the place you think is the best.
Canada, you rock!




1 comment:

  1. There is no place like home! When my sister-in-law spent a year teaching in Germany, she also missed Tim Horton's a lot. Things that others might consider novelties, we take for granted. Yes, Canada does rock.

    ReplyDelete